Isle of Arran: Top 5 Spots


Fras' family has been Scotland obsessed for as long as he can remember - his holiday's have been spent in boats bobbing along Scottish shorelines and singing the Scottish National Anthem at ear blistering levels as they cross the border. If you ever came across the family, you'd have a hard time believing there isn't actually a Scottish bone in their body.

This love for the most Northern part of the UK has followed Fraser into adulthood. He's lucky - not just that he met me (obv) - but that I reciprocate that fondness.

For Valentines this year, I managed to wangle the weekend off. As it turns out to be a once in a lifetime occurrence that I can actually spend the weekend doing something - we decided to take advantage and booked a ferry to the Isle of Arran.

The Isle of Arran is often coined as 'Scotland in miniature' and honestly, that's pretty much a nail on the head. The rugged mountain ranges are lined and divided by forests which lead down to sandy beaches - perfect for a dreamy sunset to end your day. Throw in some historic sight seeing spots and a whiskey distillery and you've quite literally got a holiday made in heaven.


Fras booked us into the Best Western Kinloch Hotel at Blackwaterfoot Bay for the weekend. It ended up being a perfect base for us (although, rather annoyingly, the pool was out of action). I'm not saying it was the most glamorous hotel in the whole world - but it certainly had a breakfast to die for (lawn sausages and tatty scones come at me) and the location meant we were in for some glorious sun snaps.

We got up just before dawn on the first day to capture such an event. Even if you're not a photographer, I'd really recommend getting up that little bit earlier than you normally would to catch the sunrise. I'd say it's one of the perks I enjoy most about dating an amateur photographer - I get to experience those little perfect moments of tranquility before anyone else is even awake and the sunrise at Blackwaterfoot was one to remember. If you do - you may just spot a seal taking a morning swim - we did!


Without a doubt, landscapes are Fraser's favourite things to shoot. One look at his Instagram and you can see that any mountain or waterfall or great vista and he's on for snapping it. I love getting to these places too, but what I really love, is history.

Scotland, is full of it. More to the point, Arran is brimming with it.

From Blackwaterfoot Bay, one of the coastal walks is to Kings Cave. Rumour has it, Robert the Bruce once made camp here - you can even see old ancient markings inside - some perhaps - owed to his hand.

I literally go crazy for anything like this, so if you're anything like me, you'll love dreaming about walking in the footsteps of past kings, priests or even just lovers taking a holiday.

If you don't take the coastal walk to the caves, you can choose to follow the forest walk from the car park near Machrie instead - that's the route we took and shortly after used the opportunity to visit the Machrie Moor Standing Stone Circle.

So again, I was in overdrive here. I'm not religious at all, but, if I was to pick something I really feel connected to, it's nature. I know no-one really knows what stone circles were for, and I don't wanna get all 'woo-woo' on you, but there was something about this place that really made me feel calm - spiritual even (woo-woo).

We spent one of our sunsets here and it was a perfect end to a day before grabbing pizza from the Deli Pizzeria - the best pizza on the island for sure!


On one day, the weather was set to be particularly bad. We planned accordingly though and decided to take a trip to the Arran Distillery in Lochranza. Fras and I are partial to a wee dram and we both love an alcohol tour, we've made it to a couple now but this had to be the cream of the crop. 

We were part of a group tour where we were shown around the distillery, and told the tale of water to whiskey. There were multiple tastings along the way (the best kind of tour) and the chance to purchase a tipple or two at the end - which of course we did. 

Afterwards, we stumbled up to the cafe with slight fuzzy heads for a bite to eat which was the perfect end to an otherwise perfect afternoon. Our waitress there was fabulous and pointed us in the direction of a family of stags, just beyond the golf course in Lochranza.

Following her instructions we managed to get a glimpse of the group - I was awestruck. I've never seen a stag so close before. Fraser even managed to get a few snaps.

We took the opportunity to stop and peer at Lochranza Castle too, which, fun fact was once home to some of the MacDonald Clan, among many other historic figures. Who just so happen to be my ancestors (apparently). My family were a diminutive of the clan - which in my eyes basically means I'm a long lost Scottish princess... right?!


On the ferry over, Fras saw an image, very similar to the above shot, plastered over the side of a cargo truck. He decided to hunt for the location - which turned out to be Glen Rosa.

This had to be the most stunning places I'd ever cast my eyes upon. Goat Fell loomed in the distance as we followed the water trail and all along the banks were wild deer roaming without a care.

We spent the afternoon dawdling along the river and Fras got the shots he wanted. It almost felt like a scene from The Lord of the Rings - especially with the snow still on the mountain tops. We didn't climb Goat Fell in the end, the weather up there would have still been pretty wintery - and even though Fras would have probably made it, it would have likely been certain death for your not-so-nimble gal over here.

That said, it's all the more reason to return and tackle the beast...

So there we have it, our trip to Arran - in no particular order. I'd say my Top 5 spots would be

1. Glen Rosa
2. Machrie Moor Standing Stone Circle
3. Arran Distillery
4. Kings Caves
5. Blackwaterfoot Bay


Maybe once I've tackled Goat Fell it'll make the list....


Ex


(PS if you like these snaps, take a look at Frasers' Instafeed for more dreamy snaps. 

No comments

Post a Comment

designed by pipdig