We bought a home! (Learning to live with eachother)

 Hello! Welcome to the most exciting blog post I have ever had the pleasure of writing!!

After six and a half years together; three years of long distance and three years of renting (for me at least).... Fraser and I have actually gone and done it...

                                                                We've bought a home!

We are so over the moon with our little plot in Leeds.

Now, buying a home is something I personally have always felt a bit conflicted about. I know that's weird - everyone wants their own square space, don't they. It's something my parents really drummed on home too but to be honest, I just never really minded renting! I quite like the freedom renting allows; I hold romanticised ideas about my ability to just zip off to whichever city took my fancy; following freelancing gigs and seeing the sights along the way. Not that I ever did move from Leeds of course - but the option was always there wasn't it! 

I have been, however, rather fixated on the idea of living with Fraser. I cannot tell you how wonderful it is not to have to say goodbye to him every weekend or how it feels to wake up with him every day. Honestly, I'm quite an independent person so ~ believe me ~ this makes the feminist in me cringe, but something about living with him really makes me feel like my life has started.

The joy, I think, is truly in the small things. This Sunday, for example, we had nothing on...it was bliss. After multiple walks around the high street, a four pack of pancakes drowned in maple syrup, and endless cups of Christmas blend coffee; I spent the afternoon writing out Christmas cards for the neighbours who we don't yet know. Fraser meanwhile provided the soundtrack to my afternoon, squealing and roaring as he watched UFC videos. The air in the living room has been filled with the scent of pine thanks to our decked tree and there's that warm glow you can imagine from the flames of four candles burning and flickering around the room. I know it sounds somewhat mundane but it just felt so idyllic to be hanging out together with nothing else beckoning our time.

I have learned, in a short space of time, to drink up and savour every single small moment; the sleepy kiss before I get up for work. The hand hold as we drift off in an evening. The heating already on when I get home and the dishes washed for me at night. It's things like the cooking shared, the laughs doubled and how I'm never far from a cuddle. 

Of course, I am a realist. 

As gorgeous as living together is, it's certainly not ALL roses. Fraser and I are arguing more than ever as we get used to each other's constant company. Like two tectonic plates, our edges do of course jigsaw fit together most of the time but at others they can grind and screech and spit fire. He's always on the receiving end of my short fuse and we have little quirks that have taken some getting used to.

Fraser for example, has SO MUCH STUFF. It just sits there too, in the living room and no matter how long ago I tidied everything away, his stuff, sure enough, will accumulate again mere moments later. Our eating schedules are all completely off too because of my working hours and Fraser's always ready to do something when I just want to curl up on our green leather chesterfield. 

Do you think there's any such thing as perfect though? I'm a firm believer in needing the bad to bask in the good. What's the saying? You can't have a rainbow without a little rain? Well I bloody adore that rainbow. It's worth hurricanes. 


No comments

Post a Comment

designed by pipdig