The women who inspire me




Well hello there,

Happy Monday! It's the start of the new week and instead of waking up rather miserable that Monday's back around again - I'm feeling super inspired right now - maybe it's that new moon? Apparently we're supposed to feel optimistic - and I can tell you I really AM.

This look is from this weekend, I spent it back home in (kinda) sunny Lancashire. Fras and I went to see our lovely mates The Juice, play a festival in Clitheroe. Fras actually bought me the whole outfit (from TKMAXX) because I'm so royally skint (not that he's flush with cash either). It was so much fun and has left me feeling really grateful for him, my friends and my life.


Which brings me to today's post. Last night I was laid in bed, reflecting upon my wonderful weekend and catching up with the queen that is, Megan. One of her posts was on the women who inspire her and I am all about this age of girls supporting girls. I really love that it seems to be on more and more ladies agenda too; one of my work friends is getting married soon and so has been picking her bridesmaid dresses. She was telling me a conversation she had with her mum along the lines of: "you don't want your bridesmaids to look TOO nice - they'll upstage you". WELL, I hope you agree with how very wrong I find that sentiment to be. Your bridesmaids are your BEST friends; THE single most important women in your life; who only want the best for you and vice versa. Why on earth would you want to deliberately dull their sparkle on the best day of your life? My friend agreed with me and I think, this conversation is proof itself of how times have changed. The age of female 'cattiness' is well and truly on the out - a product of the (damn) patriarchy and thankfully stuck firmly in past generations. I am so grateful of the amazing women around me and those out in the world who inspire me - SO MUCH SO I'm going to give them a little shoutout.



First of all, my wonderful Mum. Of course - who would start a list like this without the woman who literally gave you life? My mum hasn't had it easy. She lost her mum as a teenager and without going into details - her home-life thereafter - wasn't necessarily the most loving. Still, she remains the most optimistic soul and has given me the happiest home my entire life. She's quite literally turned potentially the worst thing that could happen to a person - into a reason to see the light in everything. I cannot bring myself to imagine what it would be like to lose her and that's exactly what she battled through. I'm not saying she's happy all day everyday, but every day she is the sunshine and the lightning in our home and my number 1, WCW every damn day.

Next up, the amazing Janet. Now Janet literally battles every day with what - for many people - would be a debilitating condition. There's a lot of people out there who are served a sorry draw and would let it rule their life, but for Janet? Every day is a big old two fingers up. Never have I met someone so joyful, cheeky and glamorous - despite some bloody shit. Again, I'm not saying all day everyday is a comedy show (even though a day in the Cornall household would get you thinking it is)  among the light there has to be dark - but every day is a triumph and it's celebrated in the smallest kind of way. To top it all off, she brought the love of my life into the world - so there can legit never be enough appreciation for that.



Emily. Oh Emily. Never has a girl been so misjudged their whole entire lives - including by yours truly. Emily is one of those people, you'd think MUST be ~ fake ~ (I hate that word) when you first meet her, because no-one can possibly be THAT nice. Well. NEWSFLASH. Emily is the sweetest soul there ever was and I'm so lucky that she counts me among her favourite people. Every day with her makes me come away feeling lighter, she is the first woman that made me feel like I didn't have to dull my shine to be around her and taught me that two stars are a whole lot brighter than one. I honestly think I love her more and more each day. There's no denying my beautiful best friend has her demons - but she still glows like no other. Not only that, she is THE CHICEST person I have ever met in real life and serves up LE-HEWKS like no other. Emily inspires me to be classy and kind, even when we feel our most broken.

Frances. In school, Frances ~ or Penny as she is to me ~ was MUCH cooler than I was. We were never really friends but I can remember even back then WANTING to get to know her (I'm lucky she doesn't read this blog because she'd bloody love that) She was never, you know a ~ popular ~ girl; she wasn't a cheerleader and she didn't have all the girls asking where she bought her cargo pants and flip-flops from (though she always got an invite to the cool parties). To me though, she seemed fierce as fuck and I bloody loved it; it wasn't the plastic wannabe's that I wanted to be friends with; it was the I-know-my-worth-fuck-em-if-they-can't-take-a-joke-boss-babe-from-a-young-age that was she. It was a twist of fate that made us friends; one summer, a crowd of unlikely lads and lasses on Avenham Park - but I'm really bloody glad fate did do a somersault that year. Knowing her now, I know that she wasn't always the favourite for being so strong minded - in fact I think it probably lost her quite a lot of fans... BUT those fans didn't go to Cambridge Uni despite being from a 'working class' town and those fans didn't bounce back like she did after being made redundant. Those unlucky 'fans' haven't known the privilege and joy of being carried on her back, even when she's weak at the knees herself. It's funny, I say Pen wasn't a cheerleader, but she turned out to be my biggest one.



Dorcas and Vick. Now, I'm pairing up these two magnificent women - not because they don't deserve their own paragraph - but because they're mother and daughter and together have blown me away with their resilience. A few years ago, Dorcas was diagnosed with that bitch that doesn't deserve a name. To say it was terrifying would be an understatement; for us all of course, but most of all, for herself and Vick. It could have been a time where we all crumbled - and I'm not saying we didn't wobble - but falling to our knees was never an option. I remember Dorcas telling me Vick's reaction; there were no tears (though I'm sure they probably came later, in a dark room with no-one to hear) just a stark - practical - 'can we cure this, what do you need me to do'. Vick was the strength Dorcas needed even when she was shaken herself and for that they will be my constant inspiration. Separately, Dorcas remained the single most glamorous woman you've ever seen. I remember watching her as I grew up - she's always worn more makeup than my mum and I was mesmerised. She continued that well into her treatment and I will forever be grateful that she didn't lose a piece of her soul... and Vick? Vick travelled the world - ON HER OWN. I guess she figured nothing could be as scary as that time in her life. She lost friends over it, but instead of shedding tears over it she's still so bloody adamant they don't deserve her and she just has me in awe. Vick is a woman who knows her worth.


Style wise, my inspirations are generally bloggers. I have of course, GOT to mention the woman who quite literally inspired this post. Megan Ellaby. I adore that she's so shamelessly northern, she makes me proud to come from the North West. Her style is not necessarily what I would wear everyday- but she definitely inspires me to be a little more daring with colour and my outfits often have a little injection of the rainbow just because of her. Next up is Chloe Hayward, Chloe literally has my dream wardrobe. She looks chic LITERALLY ALL THE TIME and stays a little bit edgy for good measure.  She mixes feminine and masculine silhouettes seamlessly and I just LIVE for it. 

Another blogger who inspires me is Chloe Plumstead - but for different reasons. It's one thing to write beautifully but it's another kettle of fish to write about sexuality and sensuality in the way that Chloe does. Before I found The Little Plum, I hadn't ever seen femininity and the inner workings of our sexual souls even explored on the web, let alone depicted in the way that Chloe does. In this world of female power - she is a trailblazer and I adore every post that comes from her brain. She makes me feel confident and sexy just through her writing - I've never felt so assured to be all the woman I can be - than when reading her art.


Emma Watson. Okay, so let's be real, any millennial growing up in Britain had to LOVE Hermione Granger right? We loved the universe J.K.Rowling created and for us girls, Hermione was the cherry on top. Hermione taught us that it's ok not to be the most popular girl in class and having a handful of friends we can count on one hand, are more important than an invite to every party. She also taught us that brains were just as valuable as beauty. Beyond Hermione though, is Emma. Not only is she an advocate for feminism and female rights, for female sexuality and empowerment but she's also an activist for our planet and she's a damn class act as she conquers. Among her many quotes I could recount, is THAT solid truth she served up: 'feminism is not a stick with which to beat other women; it's about freedom it's about liberation; it's about equality.' Emma continues to carefully select her roles too which I adore; she's passionate about how women are portrayed and you can see that in every performance.

Taylor Swift. If any of my friends are reading this, they'll absolutely know, that no list of the women who inspire me would be complete without this woman. I have been the biggest fan of Taylor Swift since I was in year 9. I've read and watched every interview, heard every song and tried meticulously to perfect that red lip in her honour. Aside from the perfect pout though, Taylor has only actually INSPIRED me in recent years. It started when she got her rep for being a serial dater; she was tormented by headlines that picked at her choices - which for any other woman would be normal.  Instead of changing who she was though, she became an advocate for female equality. It grew when she became more active in American politics; when she started using her voice, it spoke volumes. There was no doubt her fan base would be polarised, but she screamed anyway for what she believed in. Finally, her Reputation tour was proof of Taylor's resilience; her world crumbled around her. Instead of crumbling with it though, she flipped that narrative - all while her mum battled cancer. To many people, Taylor Swift is still that pop princess from Pennsylvania - a product of the deep South. To me? Every move is inspiring millions of girls.


Fraser. OK. So I know Fraser is not a ~ woman ~ who inspires me but among all these amazing and inspirational women, it seems amiss not to mention this amazing man. This is a man who lost his way, who didn't like who he had become and who chose NOT to run away. Fraser has turned his whole life around even though it seemed impossible. Aside from that, he is so unapologetically himself. He's certainly not everyones cuppa tea - but he's definitely my tequila (; and as he tells me almost every day 'this is who I am, Lizzie'. He inspires me to chase my dreams and he supports me as I do it. He inspires me to be the very best version of myself and find passion in the little things. Not only that, he's a feminist himself and makes me so proud to be a woman. Fraser holds himself and his happiness fiercely above all else - but holds me up there with him.


So that's it, my ~ not so ~ little roundup of the women (and Fras) who inspire me. There seems to be a common theme in this actually, that the women I hold the highest are the ones who stay strong even when it seems impossible. Every single one of them has blown me away and I adore them so very much for it. They inspire me every single day not only to be the best version of myself, but to make them proud too.

Top: TKMaxx
Skirt: Innocence (TKMaxx)
Boots: Steve Madden (TKMaxx)
Belt: Belt

No comments

Post a Comment

designed by pipdig